Sunday, December 20, 2009

GingerBread Houses, Eating and a Baby

I have been trying to get an update on the blog for about a week now. It seems like it was one of the craziest weeks I have had in a long time and it just never happened. So now I am doing a extra long update to catch you up.

Last saturday (Dec. 12) Scott and the kids made a Ginger Bread house. They did one last year and really loved it, so we did one again this year.








Josh is the one with the most news to update (what else is new?)... so here we go.
The pictures below was taken a few days ago of Josh using a spoon and eating!!! This is huge news....he has not been able to figure out the motor planning to use utensils. It's been bitter/sweet in the eating area right now. He has regressed quite a bit and has perplexed both the Therapist and I. He is not attempting any chewing right now and is requesting pureed food when he will eat. He has been on thin liquids for awhile now in a soft spout sippy cup and done fine. But he doesn't really suck on it, more just chews it a little and gets some out. Recently he has been very interested in Capri Suns, Juice Boxes, ect. Well he is not managing the thin liquids that way since pretty much every time they come back out his nose. I am not sure why he is having such a hard time, but he is. So for now he can still have gatorade in his sippy cup, but if he wants a drink with a straw we are going to have to go back to nectors again. Sigh... it's always something with him.




Now onto other news. Josh had his MRI this past thursday. Can I just say I am soooo glad this is not something we do on a regular basis?? It is not fun. The end. He had to get poked in both hands for his IV and he was not happy about that. Duh. Then he had a new anesthetic that he has never had before and did not react as well. He did get some Zofran in his IV before he even woke up and at least we didn't have any puking or heaving this time. He did however have some nasty side effects and BAD balance issues. He was very out of sorts (for lack of a better term) and it lasted the full 24 hours they said it could. I am just sooo glad to have that over with. It is hard and stressful and not fun. I will post when we get results.
Josh also had his yearly testing to see where he is at developmentally. When school gets back in session I will get those results and post them as well.
Now for some happy news!!! My sister, Chantel had her baby at 2:23 this morning!!! Evelyn Rhea Heap was 7 lb 3 oz and 19 in long. I have not seen her (hospital rules) but I will post some pictures of her when I get some. I am sooo excited to have a new niece. Congrats to Chantel and Brian!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

How exciting to have a new little baby in the family! You have had a week! I am intrested to hear more about the MRI. Sorry it didnt go so easy...makes me so nervous for Jonah's...oh well. I hope you and the Family have a wonderful Christmas. Thank you for everything!

Tanya said...

YEAY Josh using a spoon!! That's such a great day anyway! :)
Love your gingerbread house!
Evelyn really is adorable- how fun! :)

Deb said...

That's awesome that he's using a spoon! I think I'll make a gingerbread house too. It looks like fun and we have one in the cupboard. So excited for you guys to all have Evelyn. She looks absolutely adorable!

Lori said...

that's great Josh is using a spoon! I hear ya bout the MRI's. my girls always struggle for the full 24 hours after. i hope they are able to help him out a bit!

merry christmas!