Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A trip to the ER

Tonight was an eventful night here. Josh woke up from a nap with some weird shaking. He has these episodes every now and then, so I thought it would go away. Then it got worse...and pretty soon he was shaking pretty violently. After a call to the Doctor, I rushed him to the ER. He was taken back as soon as I walked up to the desk. The Dr that saw him said he had a seizure from a high fever that hit in minutes. I did take his temp at home before I left and it was 100.3 but nothing to explain what was going on. He probably had his temp taken less than 15 minutes later and it was 104.7 and his body didn't respond well. His pulse was also too high at 179bpm. So anyway... after a bit of a stay and a couple calls to his Doctors later, he was stablized and we were able to bring him home. I will take him to his Pediatrcian tomorrow morning and then we'll see if there is a virus or infection starting. It's a good thing he has his EEG this friday. That will tell us if this is an isolated thing, or the beginning of something else. He has never had a fever this high before, so the Dr told me he might have this happen again. We need to keep a real close eye on the fever and keep him drugged to help the fever stay down. I will let you know if there is anything else going on. Thanks!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Melissa! That is so scary! I will keep you and little Josh in my thoughts and hopefully everything will turn out alright.

Tanya said...

Goodness. Did you know he was having a seizure? Well, again, I am sorry.

Desiree said...

Dang Melissa...you are amazing. I don't know how you handle things so well! We'll pray for you.

maidmarian4 said...

Awh- you are a strong mom (stronger than you probably give yourself credit for). Poor Josh. Glad they got things under control and he has the EEG to check things out further. (((HUGS)))

Heidi said...

I hope everything works out for the best. My brother-in-law has seizures when his temp gets too high. He had them often when he was younger but now not very often. He is 20. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Josh.

Alice said...

Yikes. Hope he is ok. :(

Amy said...

I'm sorry for Josh that all these bad things keep happening to him. If it weren't for his amazing personality I don't know how he would react to things like that. I hope everything turns out alright. Tell him his favorite aunt is cheering for him!

nixon5 said...

Hope things go ok. Good luck with everything.

Chantel and Brian said...

One day he'll get a break...

Ashley said...

That is so scary! Hope he gets feeling better and you guys get to the bottom of things.

Allie said...

Melissa,
I am so sorry these things keep happening to sweet Josh. I will keep him in my prayers. If you need anything...anything, let me know