Thursday, October 22, 2009

Some inspiration

I have been doing more research on autism lately, and trying to find some ideas on what to do to help Trevor. He has been having some struggles and you never know where you are going to find that 'one' idea that makes a difference.

I ran across this poem while doing my research and was amazed at how well it described Trevor. I thought I would share it with you.


I am Trevor.

You may not understand me, or the way I feel today. You may not understand my reasoning for the things I do or say.

The reasons why I'm so loud and say things over & over again, Why I run so differently or lose my homework every now and then.

I write my letters backwards and sometimes numbers too, and when in conversation, I'll say "Guess what?" 100 times to you.

Too much noise, light, or excitement can set me in a spin. I don't like the way these pants feel rubbing against my skin.

I try to be good, but sometimes it's hard to control, I have to do it, it's an impulse, I don't always do what I am told.

Ketchup, Ranch and BBQ sauce on everything I eat, sometimes I have days that I just can't sit still in my seat.

I like to talk a lot even when it's out of turn, my mind plays tricks on me and interrupts what I'm trying to learn.

Sit up straight, wipe my face, and play ever so soft, some of these things I have trouble with and I usually lose my train of thought.

I didn't mean to spill the milk mom, or slam the door so hard, everyone else is done with their homework, I don't even know where to start?

My heart's as big as gold, my feelings get hurt too, I get sad, cry and have bad days just like you.

My brain works differently than other girls and boys, but one thing always holds true, I can give your life so much joy.

I get frustrated so easily and my hand won't work that way, I don't understand why those other kids won't let me come over and play.

Please don't think of me any differently or love me any less, I'm just like other kids and trying to do my best.

I am very special in my own unique way, and every moment with me you'll never have a dull day.

I am Mom.

I love you more than the sun, moon and stars, my little miracle you've come oh so very far.

Each day that you grow and learn and love, I thank God for everything in the heavens above.

You are sweet, smart, and funny, all rolled into one and you have so much love to give, you're my whole world, my very special son.

By: Kelly Graham

7 comments:

Deb said...

That's such a great poem! It definitely seems like the students who have autism that I deal with. It just seems so perfect.

Lori said...

ah tears. thanks for posting that melissa.

Alice said...

:) I love that picture of trevor.

Amy said...

Wow that really decribes Trevor doesn't it. He is such a great kid and nephew. We are so happy to have him in the family. Of course you are a great mom to him too.

Chantel and Brian said...

Okay, so I can't say that was a tear dricker, so it must be cuz I'm prego ( : But that poem actually made me get all teary eyed. It is perfect for him.

Annie said...

What a great poem and Trevor really is such a blessing in your life.

Heidi said...

What a sweet poem.