Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Truthful Tuesdays

Today for my Truthful Tuesday post I was going to talk about Autism and how it has affected me. But since Friday is National Autism Awareness Day, I am going to do a post then.


So now I will talk about my struggle of the week. I know there are many struggles I have, but this one has been on my mind this week alot and thought I would just get all my feelings down.

It is Easter this weekend. One of the activities that comes along with the holiday is Easter Egg Hunts. For most kids this is very exciting and full of lot's of great candy. Up until the last couple of years... this has been about my thinking as well. But now that I have a child who has some food allergies, it has put a whole new spin on things. Last year Josh was on pureed only textures, so we didn't even attempt to give him any candy. Plus he was much younger... not even 2 so he had no idea what he is missing out on. This year is totally different. He can eat some candy now (limited) and run around with the other kids. I realize this year that we are going to have some huge issues and things to work around and do special for Josh. I feel like we do SO much for Josh to accommodate him and his needs... that having to be deny him most kinds of candy is just so unfair. I know it has to be done and that won't change, but it still makes me sad. For once he finally can physically do what the other kids do.... run around and pick up eggs.... and yet it still is not that simple for him. We would still have to be doing the once-over for the candy and removing much of it. I don't' know how aware he will be of that this year.... but there will be a time in the very near future that he will know we are taking his candy away while the other kids get to keep all theirs. I just hate that there is one more thing to separate Josh from the other kids his age. We didn't go through this with Halloween since the kids all had the flu then and we basically skipped the whole thing.


The summary of the situation? I just want some things to be normal for Josh and I hate that it is just not possible. I know he will always have to do things differently with his special needs, but it still hurts my feelings. This week has been a hard one all around for me with my emotions on things going on with Josh. I think it has just been a bad week. Hopefully next week I won't even be thinking about all this. Thanks for listening!

4 comments:

Marshall Nair said...

I am sorry that this is such a hard time. Maybe you could have him trade the stuff he can't have for an even better prize, like a new toy or a special dad/mom date.

Tanya said...

I'm so sorry the holidays are a source of frustration for you. Brittany has a good idea, would that work?

Chantel and Brian said...

I'm glad that you're letting it all out and venting about this kind of stuff. We never should keep things bottled up to much. Don't worry. We'll do what we can to help our Josh out! As far as I know, there won't even be chocolate in teh eggs ( :

Desiree said...

You have such good desires for your kids. The best. You are such a good mommy. I'm sure Josh will understand the situation eventually and be grateful you took his candy